Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Thankful

Contrary to today's title, this is not a typical Thanksgiving post where I say write down all that you are thankful for (although I would encourage you to do that).  Instead this is just a reminder to be thankful for some people we often forget about.

In 2 Corinthians 11 Paul boasts about his sufferings. 

 24 Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26 I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. 27 I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. 28 Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. 29 Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?
 30 If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness. 

Paul encountered and endured unimaginable persecution for his beliefs and the message he preached.  Today I am thankful for men and women like Paul who have courageously and boldly proclaimed the Gospel in dangerous places.  People like Paul paved the way for the Church and helped get the Gospel around the globe.  As I sit in my comfortable office typing this, I am reminded that there continues to be men and women in dangerous spots around the globe today, risking their lives for the Gospel of Christ.

Join with me today and Thank God for the boldness of our brothers and sisters who unashamedly proclaim the Gospel, at the risk of danger, persecution, violence, and even death.  Thank God today for the generations of men and women who have boldly spread the Gospel.  

No comments:

Post a Comment