Monday, November 21, 2011

Haiti - Day 2

As I continue to document our "great adventure" here in Haiti, I am coming to you after another great day.  Today we spent most of the day in the "Life is Hope Orphanage" where our team played games with the kids, did some slight repair jobs (electrical, plumbing, etc.), and just loved on the kids.  Although for most of us there is a language barrier, there is one language that is universal, and that is love.  Love and a smile is something all can understand, and there was plenty of that to go around from our end and theirs.  These children are desperate for love and affection and many ask us the heartbreaking question:  "Can I go home with you?"  I hate that question.

After a great supper we drove about 2 hours to one of Pastor Jean's churches where Eric was able to share a message with the people.  I believe we were all moved at worshiping with our brothers and sisters in their church.  Imagine this:  a church with cinder block walls, tarps for a roof, and the tarps being held up with a large wooden pole.  In the middle of what we would call a dump in America we sang "How Great Thou Art" in their language.  Anyone who knows me well knows I'm not a big hymn guy (not that I think they are bad, they just don't speak to me).  However, as I listened to them sing this beautiful song and the wind was whipping the roof all around, stars shining like crazy, and eventually the candle was blown out by the wind, I could not help but raise my hands to the heavens to praise our God. The Gospel is alive and well in the hearts of those in that church, and are led by amazing men of God (Pastor Jean, Pastor Michael, Johnny, and more)

We are back and going to get some rest for another great day at the orphanage.  Needs are so great in this country.  I cannot begin to describe the poverty.  Please remember, I used to teach about Third World Nations in my History Classes.  I didn't do well enough at describing them.  The poverty and devastation here is remarkable, but there is still a beauty here.  I think I see the most beauty in the men of God whom I have visited with that continually brag on the grace of God, and the love of their Savior.  Their willingness to survive and bring great things to their country is amazing.

The driving here is a trip.  No rules of the road.  I think the only rule is, if someone is in your way, or considering being in your way, you must honk at them.  There is no road rage. You just honk and then go around them.  And by the way, its ok if you use the sidewalk or the other side of the road to go around them.  No biggie.  Pedestrians just walk up and down the street in all directions and somehow do not get hit.  And some even jump on the back of our bus and hitch a ride.  Our travels on the road are always a great source of entertainment.

Well, I need some sleep.  God Bless to all my family and friends back in the U.S.  Continue to pray for our team down here and pray for the people of this nation.  Also, spread the word to your friends about my blog.  I would love to have more followers. 

2 comments:

  1. Great news! Thanks for filling us in on what is going on there. I know God has great blessings in store for y'all being there! Sometimes you feel you are going somewhere to help them & you end up being the one that is being helped & blessed "by them."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update. I enjoy keeping up with your ministry in Haiti!

    ReplyDelete