Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Haiti - Day 3

The report on Haiti Day 3 is obviously coming out on Day 4.  That's because of the Loritab I was taking last night.  I figured it would not be a good idea for me to be typing while on such meds....I might get myself in trouble.  My back problems flared up big time yesterday and put me down for the evening.  But that's enough about me....you want to know what's going on in Haiti.

Day 3 was another great day.  Our team actually split into two groups.  One stayed at the orphanage while the other went to check out "But God Ministries."  I was on the team that went to check out But God.  On the way we had to make a stop at the airport to pick up James Hutto, who just arrived in country. (That's another story for another day) While at the airport God reminded me how much He is in control of things.  While our Hatian Pastor and Eric went to inside to meet James, myself, one translator, the bus driver, and three ladies were left on the bus to wait.  The waiting turned into an adventure as half of jumped off the bus, thinking we were supposed to, when suddenly the police began yelling at our driver and then forced him to pull over.  Next thing you know our bus driver is getting hauled off to jail for mouthing off at the cops. Our translator then goes off with them to try and play lawyer.  So, I'm left in the middle of hundreds of Haitians coming and going, on the side of the street, with three blond haired white ladies.  Can you say "fresh meat"?  I told Dawn, "just look like you belong here and you know what you're doing"..... whatever that means.  Anyway, God gave me a comfort.  God reminded me that He is in control and there was nothing I could do about.  Guess what....everything worked out fine.  Our translator eventually came back, the bus driver broke out of jail (not kidding), and we got James and went on our merry way.

After a very long and bumpy ride through the country side we made it to But God Ministries.  This is a ministry under the direction of Stan Buckley.  We were all really impressed by what is going on there.  I see potential for a lot of long term ministry there as they already have housing, medical clinic, dental clinic, and more set up.   None of us are experts but from what we can tell, the most effective thing that can be done in this country is to get more people out of Port-Au-Prince and into the countryside where they can farm and sustain themselves.  That is one of the goals of this ministry and they are well on their way to accomplishing that.

A couple of hours after that came the Loritab so that is all I have to say about Day 3 . . .  sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment