Monday, April 11, 2016

Fear Not?

Fears and anxieties; we all have them.  Some of us have more than others.  There are those obvious fears such as being afraid of snakes and spiders, being afraid of the dark, or fears of bad weather.  But there are also less obvious fears and ones that many people are even afraid to admit that they fear such as being alone, being in front of a crowd, going into a shopping store, or just generally being afraid of people.  Fear and anxiety are gripping and binding and can easily cripple someone and keep them from living the life God intends for them. 

If you will allow a moment of transparency on my behalf, I will confess that these are things that I struggle with.  I have battled anxiety my entire life, even since becoming a follower of Christ at age 19.  I have prayed many times for God to remove these anxieties from my life and to this point He has not.  But I will tell you that although He has not delivered me from them, He does deliver me through them.  I constantly battle anxiety and I constantly wage war with the fear of being around people.  Isn’t it interesting that God called me to be a pastor and speak in front of crowds of people each week?  His will be done … His plans are better than mine … He knows what He’s doing not me. 

So how do we get through these fears and anxieties?  The world is kind of a crazy place and can be terrifying for anyone so how can we “not be afraid?” How can we "fear not?"

Psalm 91 provides us with great promises:
“(2) I will say to the Lord, ‘My refuge and my fortress, My God, in whom I trust!’ (3) For it is He who delivers you from the snare of the trapper and from the deadly pestilence.  (4) He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings you may seek refuge; His faithfulness is a shield and bulwark. (5) You will not be afraid of the terror by night, Or of the arrow that flies by the day; (6) of the pestilence that stalks in darkness, or of the destruction that lays waste at noon.  (7) A thousand may fall at your side and ten thousand at your right hand, but it shall not approach you. (8) You will only look on with your eyes and see the recompense of the wicked. (9) For you have made the Lord, my refuge, even the Most High, your dwelling place.  (10) No evil will befall you, nor will any plague come near your tent. (11) For He will give His angels charge concerning you, to guard you in all your ways. (12) They will bear you up in their hands, that you do not strike your foot against a stone. (13) You will tread upon the lion and cobra, the young lion and the serpent you will trample down.”

Such a beautiful promise of guidance from the Lord and protection from the troubles of darkness.  But what is our role in this?

Look closely at verses 1 and 9 and you will see the answer:
(1)  He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
(9) For you have made the Lord, my refuge, even the Most High, your dwelling place. 

Those who DWELL in the Lord receive these great promises.  So take steps to do the following:
-       Time with God – your dwelling place is where you live and it is where you spend time; so spend time with God in His Word and in prayer
-       Think about God – to dwell on something means to spend a lot of time thinking on that subject; so spend time thinking about who God is and the many great things He has done, can do, and will do
-       Keep him at the forefront of your mind – God must be priority in your life.  Where you dwell and what you dwell on will be priorities so make God that dwelling place at the forefront of all your thoughts.
-       Work at it – you consider your dwelling place to be your home most likely.  You take time to make it better, to make it secure, to make it the best home it can be.  Likewise, make your relationship with God stronger.  Take steps to know Him more and get yourself out of the way and allow Him to fix areas in your life that are messed up or broken. 

The more you dwell in God the more peace you will find.  The more you abide in God the less afraid you will be.  So DWELL!!

*Image courtesy of Graceway Media. 


No comments:

Post a Comment