Friday, June 27, 2014

To Prank or Not to Prank

It has been quite some time since I have taken the time to blog.  Seminary seems to have a knack for taking my time away from blogging as research papers and exegetical projects take top priority. 

And I must admit, for my return to blogging I have chosen a topic that will probably draw many criticisms and disagreements.  But that’s ok. 

I have noticed a growing trend among the students to whom I minister; a growing desire to pull pranks on one another. Ranging from the “classic” saran wrap on the toilet to the now popular vegetable oil on the tailpipe, these pranks are growing more and more outlandish and are occurring more frequently.  Allow me to say early on that I do not like pranks: never have and never will.  I have at times pulled pranks and regret many of those. 

I further admit that as Student Pastors go, I am an “old man” and way more boring that most Student Pastors around the state . . . and this could influence my “grouchy” opinion about pranks.  If you do a Google search you can actually find Student Ministry Sites on the web that tell you how to prank each other . . . even giving tips to Youth Ministers on how to prank their kids. So I know full well that I am in a minority here. 

So, why do I feel this way?

             1)   Pranks are a distraction.  I cannot begin to count how many times at a camp, retreat, dnow,                     or weekly service that the Holy Spirit has moved in a mighty way only to later have someone pull a prank that takes all of the attention away from God and places it on the “prankster” and “prankee.” 

            2)   Pranks can be emotionally damaging.  My teenage years were very difficult for me.  I had great friends and have wonderful memories of my teen years.  However, there was a constant hidden battle with depression, anxiety, and self-esteem issues that were only heightened when a prank was pulled on me.  Why?  Well just think about the windshield on your car for a moment.  When you bought your car it was strong, solid, and secure until one day a small rock flew up and made a peck in the windshield.  No big deal right? Until that peck begins to spread into a large crack, and then that crack feathers out and the windshield becomes very fragile.  Eventually it could even fall completely apart.  Emotionally, we are no different.  Teenagers are already struggling enough with their emotions and self-esteem.  Many of their emotions are already beyond “cracked” and a prank can be what pushes them over the edge.  ESPECIALLY when that prank is pulled by a Christian brother or sister they trusted. 

             3)   Pranks only escalate in nature.  Human nature is to “one-up” each other. Therefore, if you put vegetable oil on my tailpipe I am obligated by society to do that to you AND put Oreo cookies on your windshield.  It is then probable that you would retaliate with bugs in the cab, dead fish under the seats, and/or more.  Eventually, these games can escalate into pure vandalism. 

           4)   Pranks do not model Christ and His Word.  This is the primary reason I dislike pranks. I personally feel that they do not follow along with the Word of God.  Jesus made it plain and clear throughout His ministry that “whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave.”  The model that Christ gives us is to lift others up, not tear them down.  Although most young people (and probably most adults who are way more fun than me) would say that pranks are not actually tearing people down; I believe that they can.  Granted, not all pranks are damaging; however, can we ever really know for sure.  Almost no one knows what goes on in my head and in my heart and I would imagine it could be the same for those who have been pranked.  They cannot act hurt because that may only lead to worse pranking and/or bullying.  So what if we assume that the prank could be emotionally hurtful and just avoid it all together.  Christ teaches us to serve and to build up.  To lay down our lives for the sake of the Kingdom and for others.  Most often, pranks are destructive rather than constructive. 

Ultimately pranking is about making you feel good about yourself and getting a good laugh for you and your friends.  Rarely if ever does a prank build someone up or encourage them. 

Think about this for a moment:  Do you remember the story in the Gospels where Jesus stole Peter’s sandals and hid them from him and made him walk barefooted all day?  And what about the time where Paul replaced Timothy’s water with vinegar without Timothy knowing?  WHAT?  YOU DON’T REMEMBER THOSE STORIES?  That’s right!!! Because there are no stories like that.  I would guarantee that Jesus and the Disciples laughed and had fun together but I feel extremely confident in saying that it never occurred at the expense of someone else. 

So I would say to all of us . . . think before your prank.  If we were as creative in coming up with ways to encourage others and to serve others as we are at messing with people and their stuff, we might make a major difference in this world.  So let’s give it a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment