Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Ask for Help


When I was younger my father was always insistent that I help him around the house.  The owner of a plant nursery, he always had work that needed to be done.  And if you have ever been to his place, you know that he has an extremely large and extremely immaculate landscaped garden that has always required a great amount of work.  So he always expected that I be out helping him with various jobs.  As he worked with different tools such as clippers, axes, wood splitters, chain saws, and more, I was taught to watch everything he did.  Had it not been for the hours spent watching him, and assisting him, and listening to him I would have a hard time doing the things I love today.  I love to collect plants, care for them, reproduce them, and work around my place.  Thanks to time spent with my father, I know what to do and I know how to use the tools to accomplish my tasks.

Unfortunately, when it comes to our spiritual walk, we forget that we need to be taught by our Father.  Our pride tells us that we “are just supposed to know what to do.”  Once we are saved a lie comes our way that “we should know everything” and if we do not then we are a failure.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  We must be taught; and our lessons must come from the Father. 

Listen to David’s prayer in Psalm 143:10 – “Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground.”  We must humbly pray this prayer more often.  Most of us want to do God’s will, but we need to learn how to follow His “good, pleasing, and perfect will.”  We cannot do it all on our own, we need to be good learners.  So spend time with the Father.

Ask Him to help you.  Ask Him to teach you His will and to lead you on level ground.  My dad wanted me to be good with plants and trees, and he wanted me to be good with tools so that I would be safe when I used them.  (By the way, he is still teaching me)  So how much more will our Heavenly Father want to help us walk on level ground and to do His will. 

Ask Him.  He is ready to answer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment