Thursday, September 6, 2012

Big Screen Christians

I love my big screen T.V.  Granted....it is more than I truly need, but I do love it.  Dawn and I love watching T.V. together.  I am a sports fanatic and we love watching t.v. shows (I still miss LOST by the way) and movies.  After a long day of work, or a stressful day of life, we enjoy sitting back, kicking back, relaxing, and escaping from the troubles of the day.  We are indeed part of a Big Screen Society in America.  What concerns me is that this Big Screen Society has now taken over Christianity.  What I mean is that too many of us are sitting back, kicking back, relaxing, and waiting to enjoy the show.  We have made Christianity about us.  Entertain me.  Comfort me.  Please me.  Spend my money they way I want.  Coddle me.

Is that really what Christianity was meant to be?  Far from it.  God calls us to action.  God calls us to live a life in pursuit.  Pursuit of others.  Pursuit of Holiness.  Pursuit of HIM.  When Paul writes Timothy he tells the young pastor in 1 Timothy 6:11 But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.  Our lives should be in pursuit of the things of God.

Pursuit is an active word.  When I think of a pursuit I think of a manhunt.  Like the famous manhunts for John Wilkes Booth or Osama bin Laden, a pursuit is both intentional and intense.

So since I haven't blogged in well.....it's been too long to count....let's keep this simple.  Pursue the things of God today.  Pursue them intentionally and with intensity.  Sit back no longer.  Stand up and begin the pursuit and then enjoy the ride.  Stop sitting around waiting to be entertained and waiting to be coddled.  Take a stand today and pursue God.

No comments:

Post a Comment